Sunday 4 December 2011

Commemorative Stone

Just near my guest house in a small park is a monument which I thought worth translating:


With a bit of tweaking, this is what Google Translate comes up with:

To the immortal victims of fascism and the fighters for freedom and humanity we will never forget you!
VVN local group Radebeul

Google Translate isn't prefect - its initial attempt leaves you wondering if it thinks fascism is a good think but I think the final result is rather fine. I wonder what VVN stands for?


1 comment:

  1. I am informed that:

    VVN = Vereinigung der Verfolgten des Naziregimes

    Roughly the Association of those persecuted under the Nazis.

    The Association had a complex history falling foul of even the DDR regime, possibly because it had close links with similar organisations in the West.

    ReplyDelete